When I was a little kid I spent a lot of time at Grandma and Granddad’s house. Granddad was always playing with some gadget and Grandma was either doing a craft or in the kitchen. You always had the good stuff for dinner there, like tater tots, clams casino, twice baked potatoes and baked apples. The best was the baked apples. You never really knew what home tasted like until you have had one of these apples. Every time I have one of these little treats I think of how Grandma would send them home with me while I was in college just to make sure I was taken care of. I guess that is what Grandma’s do and why we love them so.
Grandma Brinson knew how to do it right! We would like to share her baked apple recipe with you. It’s simple, and you can freeze these! Hold that thought. Here is how you make them:
- Brown sugar
- You favorite pie dough recipe
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Make your favorite dough recipe. I like this one.
- Core and peel the apples.
- Roll out the dough, and place the apple in the center
- Stuff the core of the apple with cinnamon, butter and brown sugar in layers. Alternate as you go.
- Wrap the apple with the dough, trim excess dough.
- You can make decorations for the top with the extra dough and cookie cutters.
- Put them in the oven for about 45 minutes to one hour, or freeze them. (If baking frozen apples you might have to add additional baking time.)
This is great if you have last minute dinner guests. If you freeze them, you can put them in the oven while you eat dinner and then everyone has an individual apple pie by the time you are ready for dessert.