Part three of the canned soup recipe series!
This week we are please to have the fantastic, Amy Beth Cupp Dragoo affectionately known as ABCD, with us. Her recipe hails from her mom, and was such a crowed pleaser. And yes, it had the famed “Cream of Mushroom Soup”, a no fail casserole favorite.
I have to admit this was a little more on the fancy side of soup recipes, but that’s what made it so fun. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!
Chicken Scallop Recipe
- 1 8 oz package of herbed seasoned stuffing mix – I used the ‘serves six’ helping of Stove Top Stuffing
- 3 cups of whole chicken breast – 3 whole boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 slightly beaten eggs
- Pimento Mushroom Sauce Ingredients
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package sliced mushrooms, saute in olive oil with a pinch of salt
- 1 jar of whole pimentos, pureed in a food processor
- Preheat your oven to 325.
- Clean chicken breasts and cut them into bite-size pieces. Season them with salt and pepper and saute the chicken breasts until they are cooked through.
- Prepare the stuffing according to the directions
- Spread out in a 9×13 pan
- Place bite-size chicken pieces over the top of the stuffing. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter. Blend in the flour and salt. This creates a roux. Once it thickens, add in the 4 cups of chicken broth. Eventually the broth will thicken again. Temper the eggs by pouring a moderate amount of the broth into the eggs. Blend well, taking care not to allow the eggs to heat up too quickly and cook them. Add the egg mixture into the remaining broth and pour all of it over the chicken and stuffing.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Sauce Method: In a sauce pan, saute the mushrooms. Add the liquid ingredients (mushroom soup, milk, sour cream). Puree the pimentos in a blender. Add pimentos to taste. (Mom’s recipe calls for 2T, but I added about 3 Tablespoons.)